UPDATE: The Magellan eXplorist line has been officially discontinued. For an overview of our current recommendations, check out our handheld GPS buyers guide.
The Magellan eXplorist 400 is one of eight different eXplorist models (16 if you differentiate between the North American and European editions).
So what distinguishes the 400 from adjacent models in the series? Lower units like the eXplorist 300 don’t have SD slots like the 400 does, so you are limited to the memory onboard in lower models. The eXplorist 500 is identical to the 400, except that the 500 adds a color screen with improved resolution.
Here’s what others are saying about the eXplorist 400:
- Customer reviews of the eXplorist 400 at Amazon have been very positive.
- A UK site offers this eXplorist 400 review.
- Reader reviews of the eXplorist 400 are beginning to show up at ZDNet.
- Singletracks.com has posted a Magellan eXplorist 400 review, rating it “good.”
Here are some additional resources that may prove useful:
- A PDF versions of the Magellan eXplorist 400 owners manual.
- Want to see how the eXplorist 400 stacks up against other units? Use this helpful Magellan GPS comparison tool.
- Here is a Magellan eXplorist 400 FAQ page. And another eXplorist FAQ page.
- The official Magellan eXplorist 400 web page.
- Still have questions? Ask someone who owns one at the Yahoo eXplorist message forum.
Compare prices on the Magellan eXplorist 400 at these merchants:
- Check the current eXplorist 400 price at Amazon.com.
- Find the Magellan eXplorist 400 at amazing prices at eBay.
- Check the deals on Magellan GPS receivers at REI.com.