All the cool news and info from the past week that didn’t get its own post:
- Garmin’s eTrex Vista Cx can lockup under certain conditions. GPSInformation.net tells you when and offers a solution.
- PDA sales have been in dramatic decline in recent years, but Mio is bucking the trend. Can GPS save the PDA?
- That question is complicated by a new form factor. We’re starting to see Ultra Mobile PC’s (UMPC) with GPS.
- A former co-worker used to set a timer to remind her to drink water
at intervals during the day. Garmin notes that you can get your Forerunner to remind you when to hydrate.
- How to shockproof your Garmin.
- Navigadget looks at a service that allows you to download Yahoo! Maps driving directions to your iPod. Now we just need a GPS-enabled iPod!
For our friends in Europe
- TomTom introduces European Rider.
- Mapopolis releases new European maps.
- A new service allows those in the UK to track Royal Mail with GPS.
- Why can’t NOAA / NWS make their search tools as easy as that of WeatherMole?
- Australia and New Zealand get street maps.
- Marine mashups.
- A stream flow sensor net from USGS.
Alternatives to Google
- Add your own maps to Virtual Earth with MapCruncher.
- A Mac OS X and Linux release of NASA’s WorldWind is scheduled for release in September.
All the rest