News, tidbits and just cool stuff from this past week:
- Lowrance has announced the iWay 600C (PDF), a highway / marine hybrid similar to the new Garmin 378 and 478.
- Word is that a new Garmin Bluetooth receiver – the GPS 10X is coming, though it may not include the SiRFstar III chipset.
- DIY – PSP with GPS.
GPS software, firmware and data
- The latest version of MapSource is compatible with Google Earth.
- Version 2.3.5 of EasyGPS and ExpertGPS has been released. Details on changes here.
- Free Garmin POI’s for the UK.
- TomTom attempts to release their firmware version 6 again.
- GIS applications for Mac OS X, via The Map Room.
- Get a free 60 day trial of Microsoft’s MapPoint.
In the news
- And GPS tracking makes you paranoid?
- How many times do we have to say it? Don’t stalk your girlfriend with GPS.
- It sounds like this guy didn’t even try out the traffic services before dissin’ GPS.
GPS and cell phones
- A new HP GPS device.
- A ruggedized GPS cellphone from Motorola.
- Traffic info is now available on Google Maps for Mobile .
Google and the wannabes
- File under cool satellite imagery: Icebergs in Google Earth.
- I thought 500 meter tsunamis were the stuff of disaster movies.
- They are dated, but free: Ordnance Survey Maps on Google Maps.
- A Google Maps Kayak and Canoe Wiki, via Google Maps Mania.
- The health of coral reefs on Google Earth.
- Find your latitude and longitude with Google Maps.
- Windows Live Local now offers full support for Australia.
- There is also a new Windows Live Local Toolbar that does some cool tricks.