Waypoints will likely be taking a short break for the next couple of weeks. Next week is the busiest of the year at my real job, followed by a week of backcountry biking. You can bet I’ll get a post or two up on that, and I’ll have other posts ready to go while I’m gone. Given the ubiquity of wifi, who knows…maybe I’ll get a brief version of Waypoints up sometime. Otherwise, Waypoints will return in about three weeks.
Maps and aerial imagery
- Ever hear of kite aerial photography? Apparently, it dates back to at least the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.
- Maps of Scotland.
- Garmin has posted information about BlueChart Americas v.8.50, BlueChart Atlantic v.8.50, BlueChart Atlantic Small v.8.50, BlueChart Pacific v.8.50 and City Navigator Australia v.7.00. Via Allory.
The business of GPS
- All Points Blog explores Garmin’s challenges in Europe. Apparently they aren’t doing too bad there. Garmin’s Q2 financials show European revenue up 83% (PDF).
- Meanwhile, on this side of the pond, Garmin opens a retail store in Chicago.
- Here’s another challenge for Garmin — SiRF, makers of the SiRFstar III chipset, are about to commoditize GPS.
- TeleAtlas has signed an agreement to relicense Wcities content in digital form.
Firmware, nuvis and knockoffs
- TomTom tries again.
- Nuvi firmware updates have been released.
- Mio has announced the Mio C710.
- Here’s another nuvi wannabe, Tele Type’s WorldNav 3100.
All the good stuff that doesn’t fit anywhere else
- A collection of GPS FAQs has been posted at Groundspeak, home of one of my favorite GPS message boards.
- XM Radio adds 13 new markets to its XM NavTraffic data service.
- The US Census Bureau will start using GPS.
- The Chicago Tribune doesn’t like the Garmin Edge 305.
- Find the distance between lat/long coordinates.
- GPS-enabled art
Google and others
- Store your tracklogs and display them in Google Maps with Bumpr.
- Or you can plot your GPS tracks with Yahoo Maps.
- Goggles is a Google Maps flight simulator.
- I don’t think I’ve covered this county boundary map mashup before. Via Google Maps Mania.
- Here’s another cool mashup I missed. Current weather radar via Google Maps Mania.
- Promote your band’s new album with Google Earth.
- Will Google control your car in the future? Via Google Maps Mania
- You can now save locations in Google Maps.
- The Virtual Globes Directory seeks to bring order to chaos.
- Google Earth tries to corner the market on high resolution imagery.
- Google search gets integrated with Google Local and Google Maps.
Technorati tags: GPS