UPDATE: Most of the several generations old StreetPilot series, including this model, has been discontinued. For a more current recommendation, check out our Auto GPS buyers guide or go straight to our Garmin nuvi comparison chart.
The Garmin StreetPilot c580 is the new flagship model in the StreetPilot line. It is nearly identical to the c550, except that it adds MSN Direct services (see coverage area), which it receives via FM radio signal. MSN Direct offers weather, movie times, gas prices and live traffic. This also means that the source of traffic data is different than that of the c550, which receives TMC data. The first year is free; after that, MSN Direct service is $49.95 per year or $129.95 for the lifetime of the device.
Key features of the Garmin StreetPilot c580
- Preloaded maps of North America
- MSN Direct content
- Bluetooth wireless
- Speaks street names
- MP3 player
ZDNet is the first to post a hands-on Garmin StreetPilot c580 review. They rated it an 8 out of a possible 10. Here’s a snippet:
“The main difference between the Garmin StreetPilot c550 and this unit is the addition of the MSN Direct services. With it, you can receive real-time traffic conditions, and you can even avoid the congested areas before hitting the road, as the unit provides directions around the traffic. Alternatively, if you happen to hit traffic as you’re driving, the c580 will automatically look for alternate routes. With all that driving, at some point you’ll need to refuel, and the cool thing about MSN Direct is it can pull current gas prices from stations close to your current location, so you can find the best deal. The same applies for finding movie showtimes. MSN Direct will send local showtimes for movies directly to the c580, and you can even search by title or theater; once you’ve decided on a location, you can simply press Go to get directions to the theater. The final service provided by MSN Direct is weather; you can get current weather conditions as well as a three-day forecast for your area with information about high/low/current temperatures, chances of precipitation, humidity, pressure, wind, and alerts.”
More Garmin StreetPilot c580 reviews
- The first consumer written Garmin StreetPilot c580 review has been posted at GPSNow.
- And now the first Garmin StreetPilot c580 review written by an Amazon customer has been posted as well.
- Gizmodo has posted a video demo of the Garmin StreetPilot c580.
- They’ve also posted a brief Garmin StreetPilot c580 review.
- Matthew Miller of ZDNet definitely likes the Garmin c580.
- GPSInformation.net does their usual thorough job in this Garmin StreetPilot c580 review.
- Scif.com has also posted a Garmin StreetPIlot c580 review.
- Tangled Wires reviews the StreetPilot c580, declaring it “top rated.”
- Rich Menga has posted a StreetPilot c580 review on his blog.
- Here’s a video review of the Garmin c580.
I’ll be posting more hands on GPS reviews as they appear, but in the meantime, here are some…
Other Garmin StreetPilot c580 resources
- A PDF version of the Garmin StreetPilot c580 owners manual.
- Curious as to how the c580 compares to other units? Use this handy Garmin mobile GPS comparison tool.
- The official Garmin StreetPilot c580 web page.
- There are several GPS message forums that you might want to check out:
Compare prices on the Garmin StreetPilot c580 at these merchants:
- Check the current Garmin StreetPilot c580 price at Amazon.
- Get a great deal on the Garmin StreetPilot c580 at GPSNow, where shipping is free on orders over $399. Order by 5 p.m. Central Time for same day shipment.
- Find the
Garmin StreetPilot c580 Bluetooth GPS System with MSN Direct
- Get the Garmin StreetPilot c580 for an amazing price on eBay.