- Garmin has posted firmware updates for the eTrex H, StreePilot c530, c550 and c580.
- The pink nuvi comes to Europe.
- A Mio TMC page has been posted. Discussion at GpsPasSion.
- Mio traffic services in Australia.
- A Mio C520 POI loader.
- Backstage Dash talk — there are a few good tidbits here like "The Dash will let drivers let other Dash users know if there’s a cop in the area!"
- Jasper Wireless says Dash may lower its monthly fees.
- Wired on the Dash Express.
- Coming soon — GPS touch screens with tactile feedback.
- This European GPS for skiers looks like it may use raster imagery.
- Free Geography Tools links to a couple of marine applications.
- Create range rings (concentric circles) on Google Maps or Google Earth with this tool.
- A Google Earth PhotoOverlay tool.
GPS in the news
- Diabolical ways to be a GPS prankster.
- New Jersey mimics GPS to promote tourism. Example here.
- Wouldn’t you like to control traffic lights with your GPS?!
- Mapping the border to prevent immigrant deaths. Via BlinkGeo.
- A GPS job network for day laborers in Japan. Via Digg.
GPS and cell phones
- Garmin forms a partnership with Palm, previously TomTom turf.
- Garmin has also posted a new version of Mobile XT for Windows Mobile.
- OpenStreetMap on an iPhone.
- Traffic.com, a
NAVTEQ(soon to be) Nokia company, rolls out TrafficOne Mobile.
- An article on social mapping.
- Point and find systems are getting closer.
- MapQuest launches MapQuest for Mobile Web. And they already have 13% of the total mobile Internet audience!
- NAVTEQ powers Dial Directions.
- Mobile GMaps supports NAC universal addresses.
- CNet on privacy and geotagging.
- National Geographic embraces photo geocoding.
- Batch address geocoding for Europe.
The business of GPS
- An ad supported GPS is coming to hotels and car rental companies. Here’s the full press release.
- Kudos for TomTom service.
- GPS-powered billboard ratings prove to be expensive.
Location-based services (LBS)
All the news that doesn’t fit
- A new online geocaching magazine.
- NYC wayfinding.
- I may have linked to this before — a GPS traffic forum.
Updated GPS reviews
- DeLorme Earthmate PN-20 review – PC World gives this unit a rating of 84 — very good.
- Garmin Astro review – Consumer-authored Garmin Astro reviews are being posted at Amazon.
Also, quite a bit of good information is being posted by our readers in
the comments section at the end of the post I wrote when the Astro was first announced.
- Garmin eTrex H review – The first consumer-authored Garmin eTrex H review has been posted at Amazon.
- Garmin nuvi 350 review – Canadian Driver reviews this ever-popular favorite.
- Garmin zumo 550 review – A consumer review has been posted at Epinions.
- Navigon 7100 review – GPS Review tackles this interesting unit.
- TomTom GO 720 review – Audioholics reviews the TomTom GO 720 and Martin Brooks has posted a personal review.
- TomTom ONE XL review – Laptop Logic gives this unit a 3 out of 5 star rating.