Waypoints is a collection of GPS news shorts from the past week…
- Garmin is giving away twenty nuvi 200s. Enter the contest here.
- Magellan has posted a product page for the RoadMate 1200, so I guess its no longer a stealth product.
- Meanwhile, TomTom has posted product pages for the GO 920 and 920T.
- GPS Lodge has posted a review of the Nextar C-3.
- The SPOT satellite messenger (PDF) is now shipping.
- Panasonic enters the U.S. PND market with a thud. A measly 1.8 million POIs for $499.95. Yeah, right.
- Another Ultra-Mobile PC with GPS.
GPS software, maps and hacks
- Magellan has posted map updates for the RoadMate 3000T, 3050T and 6000T. Via Allory.
- How to unlock the Mio C230 for hacks.
- Fugawi Global Navigator now supports Garmin .img files, including free ones from MapCenter.
- RouteBuddy (for Mac) announces a new voice control feature.
GPS in the news
- GPS Business News writes about the proliferation of red light cameras in the U.S.,
including "speed on green" cameras and says that sooner or later we’ll
get red light camera warnings in our GPS units, just like they have in
- A GPS "smart suit" for emergency workers.
- PhoneTag Elite is a massive multi-player GPS game. Via GPS Business News.
- There’s lots of speculation on the Garmin / Tele Atlas deal. I had no idea that Garmin already owned 5% though.
- Tele Atlas announces deals in Thailand and Africa.
- VerySpatial reminds us of the National Map Corps.
- Wikipedia’s geocaching page. Via Earth to Bill.
- I don’t usually post about mashups, unless they have to do with
topo maps, backcountry interests, etc., but this one was just too juicy
to pass up. Got a problem neighbor? Tell the world with RottenNeighbor.com. Via GoogleMapsMania.
- If you’ve got to abandon ship, plan to take your marine electronics along.
Updated GPS reviews
- Garmin Edge 305 review – Daily Spin News has posted their take on this unit.
- Garmin Forerunner 201 review – About.com reviews this older unit.
- Garmin Forerunner 305 review – Kevin Kelly reviews this perennial favorite.
- Garmin nuvi 260 review – Xtreme CPU has posted one of the few available reviews of this relatively new unit.
- Garmin nuvi 360 review – Xtreme CPU also reviews this unit.
- Garmin nuvi 760 review – I’ve linked to GPS Magazine’s thorough (as always) review, and to a nuvi 750/760 review thread on GpsPasSion.
- Magellan Maestro and RoadMate reviews – I’ve gone back and added a link to this Magellan Maestro / RoadMate message forum.
- Mio C230 review – An unlock hack.
- Mio C520 review – TheTechBrief has posted an appropriately brief review.