Garmin has announced eight (!) new nuvi models that come with urban pedestrian navigation enhancements. Significantly thinner than previous models, “the nüvi 1200 and 1300 series are the first nüvi devices to offer pedestrian navigation capability enabled through optional CityXplorer™ maps. CityXplorer maps are available for select tourist destinations in
both North America and Europe, and can easily be downloaded directly to the nüvi.”
Available as a download for select cities, CityXplorer allows the user to plan and use routes that can include public transit options such as bus, tramway, metro and suburban rail systems. Content from CityXplorer will range from $9.99 – $14.99, depending on the city. A list of cities offered in North America and Europe is expected to be available in the second quarter of 2009 at www.garmin.com.
It will be interesting to see how good of a job Garmin does with pedestrian navigation. We know from their outdoor products that they can nail this, but I was less than impressed with the dual-use nuvi 500 series. Determining the proper orientation for the map can be challenging when using a PND as a pedestrian — a compass is one way to solve this, but the implementation in the 500 series left a lot to be desired. Will the 1200/1300 series have a compass screen? A compass super-imposed on the map? Perhaps we’ll see some screen shots later today that will reveal more. And how about a lanyard? And what is that extra plus sign icon on the nuvi 1300 shown above? Sorry — at this point we mainly have questions.
Finally, the nuvi 1200 and 1300 series are ably equipped for auto navigation as well. All models come with text-to-speech and are expected to be available in the second quarter of 2009. Additional model details, including map coverage and manufacturer’s suggested retail price:
- Garmin nuvi 1200 – 3.5″ screen, 49 states (sorry Alaska), $199.99
- Garmin nuvi 1250 – 3.5″ screen, U.S. and Canada, $249.99
- Garmin nuvi 1260T – 3.5″ screen, U.S. and Canada, Bluetooth, lifetime traffic, $299.99
- Garmin nuvi 1300 – 4.3″ screen, 49 states, $249.99
- Garmin nuvi 1350 – 4.3″ screen, U.S. and Canada, lane assist, $299.99
- Garmin nuvi 1350T – 4.3″ screen, U.S. and Canada, lane assist, lifetime traffic,$349.99
- Garmin nuvi 1370T – 4.3″ screen, North America and Europe, Bluetooth, lane assist, lifetime traffic, $449.99
- Garmin nuvi 1390T – 4.3″ screen, U.S. and Canada, Bluetooth, lane assist, junction view, lifetime traffic, $399.99