While GPS is definitely not a new technology, it is surprisingly specialized. I am constantly shocked at how many of my friends and even my family are either completely oblivious, or else have absolutely ridiculous (and definitely incorrect) assumptions about how GPS works, how much it costs, how it can be used, and who uses it. It seems to be one of those technologies that, for most people, simply works.
So, if you have someone in your life who has been trying to understand your GPS device unsuccessfully, then Portland’s REI company has a solution. On February 22, REI will be hosting a beginner class titled GPS Navigation Basics, which anyone can sign up for. In this class, which lasts two hours, participants will learn the basics of how to use a handheld GPS device including use, marking waypoints, navigation, tracklogs, and other basic information.
Wednesday, February 22, 2017
6:30 – 8: 30 PM
Portland REI | Directions
$30 for members | $35 for non-members
GPS devices are not required, but participants are welcome to bring their own if they wish.
The class is limited to only a handful of participants, but REI does occasionally offer this throughout the year, so if you can’t get in on it this time, you can always check back. If you’ve got a friend or spouse who wants to learn, then sign up together and share your hobby with them!!
GPS Tracklog Beginner Handheld Articles
Of course, we can’t all live in Portland (I know I certainly don’t) and the spaces are limited. If you’re more interested in learning on your own, or teaching someone else, then check out some of our articles for a basic guide!
- How does GPS Work? – While not essential for using GPS, this can help you better understand what’s going on with your device.
- Handheld GPS 101: Waypoints – The first of three parts, learn the essentials of waypoints and how they work
- Handheld GPS 101: Routes – The second of three parts, learn routes, plotting them, and how to set them
- Handheld GPS 101: Tracks – The third of three parts, learn about tracks and other functions
- 15 Tips for a New Handheld GPS Owner – Check these tips and tricks to get the most out of your device.
Do you have any tips for new GPS owners? Tell us in the comments below! Happy tracking, everyone!