These may be old hat to regular readers, but I’m sure there are a ton of nuvi users out there who don’t know most of these tips. So for all you nuvi newbies out there:
- Hold down the back button – to get back to the main menu, no matter how deep you are in menus
- Get a free map update – register your device within 60 days of first use and if a newer map is available, its yours for free
- Backup your favorites – connect the nuvi to your computer and save the GPX/current.gpx file; you can also use this file to transfer favorites to a new unit
- Extract your track – the GPX/current.gpx also contains this info (if you have a nuvi that supports trip logs and you have it enabled); you can download your track and view it in Google Earth or most other mapping software
- Check out the satellite screen (shown above) – Hold down the satellite signal strength indicators in the upper left portion of your screen to see which birds you’re pulling in, and the elevation too!
And don’t forget my recent tip about setting your home address.