UPDATE: This model has been discontinued. For more current recommendations, please refer to our GPS for runners post.
Hands on with the Garmin Forerunner 301
I had the opportunity to try out a Garmin Forerunner 301 recently when I used it to test out the online mapping software provided by Motionbased.com. The Forerunner is a very nice, lightweight (only 2.6 ounces!) GPS receiver that straps to your wrist. Ideal for runners, this flagship Forerunner model includes a heart rate monitor as well.
Now I go at outdoor activities fairly aggressively, but I consider myself an explorer, not an athelete in training. And while the Forerunner was a lot of fun, it is best suited for those wanting to track their heart rate and performance. It is not a great navigation device. Sure, it can point you in the direction of a waypoint, or navigate along a route, but most GPS receivers have much more flexibility when it comes to navigation. The 301 suffers from a limit of 100 waypoints, and you cannot upload tracks to it. But here’s an amazing statistic…the 301 is the top selling GPS on Amazon! I’m betting there are a lot of runners and lightweight backpackers who consider this the ideal receiver.
Here’s what others are saying about the Garmin Forerunner 301:
- Dozens of readers have posted Forerunner 301 reviews at Amazon.com.
- Outside Online has a review of the Forerunner 301.
- Geek.com’s Garmin Forerunner 301 review also provides dozens of user comments for you to read.
- Where are you Running? reviews the Forerunner 301
Here are some other resources that may prove helpful:
- A PDF version of the Forerunner 301 owners manual.
- Want to see how the Forerunner stacks up against other units? Use this helpful Garmin GPS comparison tool.
- There is even a Garmin Forerunner message forum at Yahoo!
- How to swim with a Forerunner.
Compare prices on the Garmin Forerunner 301 at these merchants:
- Check the current Garmin Forerunner 301 price at Amazon.com.
- Get a great deal on the Garmin Forerunner 301 at eBay.
Garmin’s Forerunner 301 page.Related posts: