Handheld GPS FAQs
General handheld GPS FAQ
- Handheld GPS 101 (includes posts on waypoints, routes, tracks, routes vs. tracks and geocaching)
- Handheld GPS 201 (includes posts on mapping software and using online tracks for trails)
- What to do about GPS reception problems
- Good satellite days and bad satellite days
- Why I love Eneloop batteries
- All about barometric altimeters
- Do you need a GPS with an electronic compass?
- Dual-use GPS for road and trail
- 14 tips for your new handheld GPS
- The difference between raster and vector maps (old, but it does explain it)
- 10 ways to get lost with a GPS
Garmin-specific handhed FAQ
- Free topo maps for your Garmin GPS
- What kind of maps do I need for my Garmin handheld?
- Loading multiple maps to Garmin devices
- How to transfer Garmin map downloads after your subscription expires
- Navigating tracks on the new Garmin handhelds
- How to update your firmware using Garmin WebUpdater
- Garmin BaseCamp video tutorials
Garmin map product reviews, FAQs, etc.
- Garmin BirdsEye satellite imagery
- Garmin BirdsEye Topo US and Canada
- Garmin Topo US 24K review
- Garmin Trailhead Series (I reviewed the Appalachian Trail map)
- European topo maps for Garmin handhelds
Handheld GPS buyers guides
Do you have suggestions for other handheld FAQs worthy of a post? Chime in below.