UPDATE: This model has been discontinued. For a list of current TomTom models and their features, please see our TomTom comparison chart.
IQ Routes technology calculates the fastest route using historical traffic speed data for both the day of the week and time of day. The Advanced Lane Guidance feature, shown below on the smaller screen TomTom ONE 140, provides a visual representation of highway junctions, along with lane-specific directions. Mexican map coverage includes 35% of the 31 states with detailed coverage of Mexico City and Guadalajara, the main road network and 2,431 counties. Compare prices on the TomTom XL 340
The XL 340 offers a 4.3” touch screen. Move up to the XL 340-S and you’ll get text-to-speech, so you’ll hear “turn right, Oak Street,” instead of just “turn right,” which is what you get with the XL-340.
Dropping down in the product line, the TomTom ONE 140 and 140-S offer the same feature set as the XL 340 series, albeit with a smaller 3.5” screen. The ONE 140–S features text-to-speech, while the ONE 140 does not.
Finally, the TomTom XL 340 series uses the EasyPort mount, which I’m not a big fan of. You can read more about that in my TomTom XL 330–S review.
More TomTom XL 340 reviews
- Consumer-authored TomTom XL 340 reviews have been posted at Amazon
- A review of the TomTom XL 340 from down under
I’ll be posting more hands on GPS reviews as they appear, but in the meantime, here are some…
Other TomTom XL 340 resources
- To see how the XL 340 compares to other TomTom units, check out my TomTom comparison chart.
- There are several good TomTom message forums:
- The official TomTom XL 340 web page
- The TomTom XL 340 owners manual, in the language of your choice
- Check the current TomTom XL 340 price at Amazon
- Get a great deal on the XL 340 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator at Abe’s of Maine
- Find the TomTom XL 340 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator at Electronics-Expo.com
- Get the TomTom XL 340 for an amazing price on ebay