The Garmin nuvi 50LM was released in 2011 and is still one of the best entry-level GPS units available. In fact, if you do a quick search on Amazon or Google, you’ll find that it’s one of the most searched GPS units. Currently, the Garmin nuvi 50LM is ranked #96 on Amazon’s top 100 electronics. That’s 96 out of all of the electronics that Amazon sells, and it is three years old! With as fast as technology moves, that’s quite a testament to the quality of this unit. Check out our extensive hands-on review of nuvi 50LM for a preview of what to expect.
One of the primary questions that people tend to have in regards to this excellent device is how to update it. Garmin updates are notoriously finicky for the older models, so it’s understandable that people have some troubles with this. Before you update your device, make sure that it is fully charged and that you have a good internet connection. The map updates, especially, can be quite large sometimes so be patient.
Garmin Update Resources:
- If your device is new or refurbished, then you will automatically get the nuMaps Guarantee which allows for free map updates.
- To check if you qualify for the nuMaps Guarantee, enter the serial number here
- With the nuMaps Guarantee, Garmin Express is probably the way to go to check for updates
- Here is a list of the updates and what they fixed or added
- Alternatively, you can use Garmin’s Web Updater but be sure to check the FAQs