Geocaching.com’s official International Cache In Trash Out (CITO) weekend is scheduled for April 24 – 27. That’s next week! So, if you haven’t found a CITO event near you, then now is the time to create and schedule your own to help do your part to protect the environment. Oh, did I mention you’ll get a souvenir to go along with it! Best of both worlds!
So, whether you’re attending a community event near you or creating your own geocaching community event, here are a few tips to keep in mind this upcoming CITO weekend:
- Communiate with the others attending so you know what to expect, where to be and how long the event will last
- Bring lots of trash bags so you have something to do with all that garbage or weeds
- Make sure you have gloves and tools—garbage is gross, and working with weeds is hard on your hands. A hand sanitizer wouldn’t be a bad idea either, depending on what you’re doing.
- Dress appropriately for the weather, and be sure to wear a safety vest if you’re near a roadway.
- Remember to bring bottles of water and maybe some snacks —staying hydrated is important!
- Make sure someone has a first aid kid on hand—just in case
- Be prepared to have fun!
Have you got any tips for fellow geocachers looking to get their hands dirty for CITO? Share them with us in the comments!