UPDATE: Most of the several generations old StreetPilot series, including this model, has been discontinued. For a more current recommendation, check out our Auto GPS buyers guide or go straight to our Garmin nuvi comparison chart.
To call this GPS award winning is no overstatement. The Garmin StreetPilot 2720 was recognized in Popular Science as one of the best of “what’s new for 2005” and it’s also a winner of PC Magazine’s Editors’ Choice award.
The StreetPilot 2720 updates the older StreetPilot 2620, adding an improved, higher resolution screen and optional FM traffic services (see below). It also adds text-to-speech functionality, so it can call out upcoming street names and points of interest (POIs). Step up to the StreetPilot 2730 and you get XM radio compatibility, including weather and XM NavTraffic options.
There are dozens of reader reviews of the StreetPilot 2720 at Amazon.
Here’s what others are saying:
- PC Magazine, as mentioned, gave the Garmin 2720 their Editors’ Choice award.
- Meanwhile, here is Popular Science’s 2720 review.
- Over at ZDNet, 19 users gave an average of 6.4 out of 10 rating in their Street Pilot 2720 GPS review.
- GPSinformation.net, a great GPS website, also has a review of the Gamin StreetPilot 2720.
Here are some additional resources:
- A PDF version of the StreetPilot 2720 manual.
- Want to see how the StreetPilot 2720 compares to other models? Check out this Garmin mobile GPS comparison tool.
- The alt.satellite.gps.garmin Usenet discussion group.
Compare prices on the StreetPilot 2720 at these merchants:
- Check the current StreetPilot 2720 price at Amazon.com.
- Find the low price on a StreetPilot 2720 at GPSNow.com.
- Get the Garmin StreetPilot 2720 for an amazing price on eBay.
Garmin’s official Street Pilot 2720 page.