UPDATE: The nuvi Essential series is already shipping.
UPDATE 2: Read my hands on review of the Garmin nuvi 40.
UPDATE 3: The Garmin nuvi Advanced series is now shipping.
UPDATE 4: Read my First Looks – Garmin nuvi Advanced series post.
UPDATE 5: Read my hands on Garmin nuvi 2495LMT review.
UPDATE 6: Read my hands on Garmin nuvi 2555LT review.
UPDATE 7: Read my hands on Garmin nuvi 3490LMT review.
UPDATE 8: Read my hands on review of the Garmin nuvi 3590LMT.
Can Garmin really introduce 15 new models and at the same time simplify the nuvi line? That’s what they appear to be trying to do. Taking a page from Navigon, their recent acquisition, Garmin is rolling out three new series, the Prestige, Advanced and Essential lines. And while we don’t have an estimated street date, they are referring to these as their 2012 line. UPDATE: The product pages are showing a fourth quarter availability date.
Garmin nuvi Essential series
Available in 3.5”, 4.3” and 5” displays, the Essential series offers junction view (but not the new “photoReal” JV). Models and product page links:
- Garmin nuvi 30 – 3.5”
- Garmin nuvi 40 – 4.3”
- Garmin nuvi 40LM – 4.3”, lifetime map updates
- Garmin nuvi 50 – 5.0”
- Garmin nuvi 50LM – 5.0”, lifetime map updates
Garmin nuvi Advanced series
Available in 4.3” and 5” models, the Advanced series has what Garmin is calling Guidance 2.0, which includes the following:
- Faster routing and map displays
- Faster, more intuitive destination searches
- See and select businesses on map (no need to page through menus)
- Subscription-free traffic – live updates, re-route options, traffic cameras
- photoReal™ junction view highlights proper lane for interchanges and exits
- Park position recall finds your car
- Speed limit indicator
- Automatic volume control
- Exit Services – know what you’ll find when you exit the highway (pictured below)
- Voice-activated navigation for hands-free operation (nüvi 2495 and 2595)
- One Shot address entry (nüvi 2495 and 2595)
- One Shot point of interest searches (nüvi 2495 and 2595)
All models in this series appear to have a dual-orientation screen as well. Models and product page links:
- Garmin nuvi 2455LT – 4.3”, lifetime traffic
- Garmin nuvi 2455LMT – 4.3”, lifetime traffic and map updates
- Garmin nuvi 2475LT – 4.3”, lifetime traffic, preloaded maps of North America AND Europe, Bluetooth
- Garmin nuvi 2495LMT – 4.3”, lifetime traffic and map updates, Bluetooth, voice command
- Garmin nuvi 2555LT – 5.0”, lifetime traffic
- Garmin nuvi 2555LMT – 5.0”, lifetime traffic and map updates
- Garmin nuvi 2595LMT – 5.0”, lifetime traffic and map updates, Bluetooth, voice command
Garmin nuvi Prestige series
These models will have a capacitive 4.3” glass screen, and feature all the above 2.0 goodies plus Guidance 3.0, which gives you the following (depending upon model):
- Digital 3D Traffic provides updates every 30 seconds
- InstaSearch for faster spelling searches
- InstaRoute loads maps faster than ever
- Pinch-to-zoom multi-touch interaction
- Automatic dual-screen orientation (horizontal/vertical)
- Bird’s eye lane guidance highlights proper lane with overhead perspective
- myTrends™ anticipates your destination based on your driving habits
- SafeText reader – receive and hear texts without taking your eyes off the road
- Voice-activated navigation for hands-free operation (nüvi 3495)
- One Shot address entry (nüvi 3495)
- One Shot point of interest searches (nüvi 3495)
While the text above from Garmin’s site refers to the 3495, the product pages show the model with those features as the 3490LMT. I suspect that all these models are really supposed to follow the 34×5 numbering convention. Also note that the 3490/3495 is the only model that appears to support the SafeText feature. All models in this series have a powered mount, 3D landmarks and terrain view. Models and product page links:
- Garmin nuvi 3450 – 4.3”
- Garmin nuvi 3450LM – 4.3”, lifetime map updates
- Garmin nuvi 3490LMT – 4.3”, lifetime map updates, Bluetooth, lifetime Digital 3D traffic, voice command
EDIT: Here’s the full news release.