The Garmin eTrex Vista GPS, a mid-level model in the eTrex line, is perfect for the avid outdoorsman. With 24 MB of memory, it will likely hold all the topo maps you could use on a single trip, unless you are hiking the entire Appalachian Trail! This unit includes a barometric altimeter and electronic compass, two very nice features.. Be aware though that, unlike the Vista C, it will not auto-route. That is, you can’t plug in an address and have it give you turn by turn directions. You can use it in a car with Garmin MetroGuide software, to direct you to points of interest (POIs) “as the crow flies,” and show your position in real-time.
88 reviewers at Amazon gave an average 4 out of 5 star rating to the eTrex Vista.
Here’s what other reviewers have to say:
- My favorite reviewers, gpsinformation.net, offer this in-depth comparison of the Garmin Vista, Venture and Legend.
- CNet rates the Gamin Vista at 8 out of 10, while 23 of their readers give it a 7.7.
- PC Mag chimes in with this review of the etrex Vista.
- Cache Machine reviews the eTrex Vista
- The official Garmin eTrex Vista web page.
- A PDF version of the eTrex Vista owners manual.
- Want to compare Garmin handheld GPS receivers? Check out this handy tool!