I’ve been playing with the new Garmin eTrex 20 for several days now and wanted to share a few screenshots, etc. You may already know that the newest eTrex line offers GPS + GLONASS integration, but let’s look at what else it brings.
First of all, let me confirm that these models support many of the new features common to other recent Garmin handhelds:
- BirdsEye aerial imagery (eTrex 20 and 30 only)
- BirdsEye topo (eTrex 20 and 30 only)
- Paperless geocaching
- Garmin custom maps (eTrex 20 and 30 only)
- Advanced track navigation (I believe this is available on all three models, but have not verified it on an eTrex 10)
- Dashboards (the recreational dashboard is show in the screenshot above, at left)
I’m including a few screenshots to give you a feel for the line. The ones above show maps with and without shaded relief.
In the left image below, you can see that the menu is more of a classic type; there’s no scrolling page ribbon like that found on the GPSMAP 62/78 series. Nevertheless, the Menu button gives you quick access to context sensitive settings, as you can see on the map screen at right. Faster access that on the Oregon series!
I’ll close out with a couple of geocaching screenshots. Let me know in the comments what you would like to see covered in my full review.