UPDATE: This unit is being replaced by the Garmin eTrex H, which has greatly improved reception over the older model.
The basic yellow Garmin eTrex is Garmin’s entry level handheld GPS. If you choose this unit though, I highly recommend purchasing the cable to connect it to your PC. This will make it easier to download waypoints, as opposed to manual entry, which is an approach prone to error. You might consider instead stepping up to the eTrex Venture or eTrex Legend, both of which come with the cable included.
You can’t load any maps to this unit, but you can’t beat the price either, and the low price sells a lot of units. At Amazon.com, 154 readers have posted reviews, giving the eTrex an average 4 out of 5 star rating. .
Here’s what others have to say…
- At OutdoorReview.com, 45 readers rate the yellow eTrex at 4.31 out of 5.
- GPS Repository also covers the basic eTrex.
- A UK site adds screenshots to their review of the Gamin eTrex.
- Yes, the eTrex is rugged.
Additional resources that may be useful:
- The official Garmin etrex web page.
- A link to a PDF version of the ETrex owners manual.
- The Yahoo Etrex discussion group.
- Finally, if you want to compare the eTrex to other handheld GPS receivers, check out Garmin’s GPS comparison tool.