Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx Review
Hands on with the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx
UPDATE: The 60CSx has been superseded by the Garmin GPSMAP 62s.
UPDATE 3: Here are some reasons to look at a more up to date model.
The Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx updated the now ancient Garmin 60CS with two important improvements. First, the 60CSx includes the SiRFSTARIII chipset, which has been getting rave reviews for its fast acquisition time and awesome coverage under canopy, in urban canyons and even indoors! Second, the 60CSx no longer utilizes the built in memory for MapSource maps, but loads them to a removable microSD card instead (the unit comes with a 64 MB card). This means you have nearly unlimited map storage capability.
UPDATE: In early 2009, it appears that Garmin stopped using the SiRFstar III chipet due to a patent dispute, substituting a MediaTek (MTK) chipset. While both are high-sensitivity chipsets, Garmin is still fine-tuning the MTK firmware. The switch to this chipset has reduced one of the advantages the 60/76 C(S)x series has enjoyed over newer Garmin models.
UPDATE 2: Here’s my 2010 take on SiRFstar III and the newer chipsets.
The Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx is a favorite of geocachers, and is great for hikers and bikers. There are newer, flashier units, but the 60CSx is tried and true, and is perhaps the most accurate handheld GPS on the market; I always use mine as a comparison whenever I am testing new devices for accuracy.
One other point before we go on to other reviews — the 60CSx is identical to the 60Cx, except that this unit, the 60CSx, adds an electronic compass and barometric altimeter. To see how the 60CSx stands up against other Garmin models, check out my Garmin handheld GPS comparison chart.
More Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx reviews
- Consumer-authored Garmin 60CSx reviews have been posted at GPSNow,.
- Hundreds of readers have submitted Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx reviews to Amazon.com.
- GPSInformation.net, one of my favorite web sites, has posted their Garmin 60CSx review.
- Patrick Roeder has posted a detailed review of the Garmin 60CSx.
- Scott from GPS Lodge has posted his own Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx review.
- BMC Software CEO cops to using the Garmin 60CSx in this mini-review.
- Consumers have posted their own Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx reviews at CNet.
- Survival AZ reviews the Garmin 60CSx.
- LetsGoMobile has also posted a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx review.
- The Smoky Mountain Hiking Blog tests the 60CSx.
- Maptoaster.com has posted a detailed Garmin 60CSx review.
- Yes, the 60CSx is rugged
- Mapomatic compares the 60CSx to the newer Colorado 300.
- Geocacher reviews of the Garmin GPSMAP60CSx
- A comparison of the 60CSx and the newer 62s
- A motorcyclist’s video review of the 60CSx:
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx resoruces
- Here’s a link to a PDF version of the Garmin 60CSx owners manual.
- Want to see how the 60CSx stacks up against other units? Use this handy Garmin handheld GPS comparison tool.
- This is such a popular unit that there is a message forum devoted to the GPSMap 60CSx and 60Cx.
- Here is a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx FAQ page.
- The official Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx web page
- This page is full of Garmin 60CSX tips and tricks, and you can even get them as an eBook
- A video comparison with it’s replacement, the 62s
Compare prices on the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx at these merchants:
- Find the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx at GPS City, one of our favorite low cost vendors
- Get a great deal on the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx Handheld GPS Navigator at BeachCamera (the folks behind BuyDig.com)
- Check the current GPSMAP 60CSx price at Amazon.
- Buy the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx Expandable Color Hand Held GPS Receiver at TigerGPS, where you get free shipping on orders above $250.
- Get the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx for an amazing price at eBay.