This week in GPS is a weekly link roundup of (mostly) GPS related odds and ends, from GPS Tracklog and other places around the Web. To get a few of the biggest stories as they break, follow me on Twitter. This week’s lead photo is from a Garmin blog post on the nuvi 2798LMT backup camera.
From GPS Tracklog
Our posts from the past week:
“I’ve been told to expect to see this unit sold under Magellan branding (and thus, in the US) likely later this spring or early summer.”
- GPSMAP 64s now shipping; here’s my review
- Another Garmin Monterra review
- How to transfer custom routes from MapQuest to your Garmin
- Tracking Your Sleep with vívofit
- Garmin mounts for mountain bikers (focuses exclusively on Edge line though)
- Garmin to Sponsor Tough Mudder and offer new VIRB color choice
- Pilot training classes offered by Garmin
- How to Create & Navigate Waypoints on the fenix/tactix…
- Connected version of 7″ Android tablet for fleets won’t be sold in US?
- Garmin updates this week: Edge Touring, eTrex 20/30, Express, fenix/D2/Tactix (beta), fenix 2, GPSMAP 62/64/78
- ExpertGPS v 5.08
- Magellan Active API v 1.13
- Magellan Active Website v 1.16
Satellites and such
- Galileo Countdown to 10 Sats by Year’s End
- Russia Launches another GLONASS-M Satellite
- Meanwhile, US GPS Modernization Stalls
- Amateur hour at the Malaysian Remote Sensing Agency?
- How Vintage Tech Helped Us Track the Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- Updated route, final radar plot
- Ghostly False Positives in Satellite Hunt for Missing Plane
GPS in the news
The business of GPS
- Cool Garmin job for fitness types
- TomTom changes auto revenue reporting
- Most Mitac revenue comes from North and Latin America
- Garmin shares head north
- Police use of GPS tracking devices rare
- Wandering wolf’s GPS collar won’t be revived
- 5 things businesses should measure in company vehicles
- World’s smallest tracking device?
- DeLorme inReach Receives FAA Approval for Enhanced Special Reporting
- US Navy’s Triton UAV completes initial flight testing
- Google Now gets traffic notifications (I’m assuming you have to be actively navigating a route though)
- AT&T’s Galaxy Note 3 gets Android 4.4 and GPS fix?
- U.S. Geological Survey and Google Maps Gallery
- Mudslides Explained: Behind the Washington State Disaster
- Map crafts!
- First steps with the HERE Map Creator
- NY Public Library map collection goes online
- The Lost Art of Critical Map Reading
- Getting started with HERE Maps for Windows 8.1