UPDATE: Before you get too excited, read this.
I saw this thread in the GpsPasSion nuvi forum the other day, showing how to get a World-Wide Garmin basemap for free. Now this isn’t from some file-sharing site; nope, this is straight from Garmin themselves. The page is actually set up to download the Garmin World Wide Basemap for iQue 3600 owners, but I beleive it will work for any Garmin GPS that can accomodate maps. I was able to easily get it on my 60CSx.
Okay, before you go off and download it, here are a few caveats:
- Read the full thread at GpsPasSion before doing anything.
- I’m not guaranteeing anything here. You could erase your existing basemap. You may want to change the name of this one before transferring it to your GPS, but I’m not sure that will prevent erasure of the original. (Should have tried that myself!)
- This is version 3.01, and it bears a date of April 7, 2004.
- It does not appear to be the same product as Garmin’s WorldMap product, which has more detail, at least in some areas. But as you can see in the screen capture, it ain’t bad.
- Download the file and unzip it.
- You’ll find a file named GMAPBMAP.img in the unzipped folder.
- I used SendMap to transfer it. You can download SendMap at the bottom of this page. Using SendMap is easy. Just connect your GPS to the PC and drag and drop an .img file onto SendMap.
- I imagine this will work in MapSource too (so that you can load multiple maps onto your GPS), but getting it in there is a little beyond the scope of this post. It’s all covered in my book though — GPS Mapping – Make Your Own Maps.
Good luck! Let me know how it goes and what you think.