The Garmin eTrex Vista H is a new, relatively low-end model in the eTrex line up. It is a monochrome unit, though it does offer an electronic compass and barometric altimeter. Step down to the Legend H and you’ll even drop those two features. The Vista H can accommodate maps, but is limited to 24MB of on-board memory.
I’ll cut right to the chase here. I can’t recommend this unit. Monochrome displays are nowhere near as bright as color units, and can be quite difficult to see in daylight conditions. Instead, I recommend one of the following:
- Garmin eTrex Venture HC – This unit adds a color screen, but drops the electronic compass and barometric altimeter
- Garmin eTrex Legend HCx – This model adds to the Venture HC’s feature set with a micro-SD slot for additional map storage and provides the ability to do turn-by-turn highway routing (when you add City Navigator maps)
To see how the Vista H stacks up against other units, check out my Garmin handheld GPS comparisonchart.
More Garmin eTrex Vista H reviews
- Consumer-authored Garmin eTrex Vista H reviews have been posted at Amazon
- I’ll be posting more hands on GPS reviews as they appear, but in the meantime, here are some…
Other Garmin eTrex Vista H resources
- A PDF version of the Garmin eTrex Vista H owners manual
- See how the Vista H stands up to other units with this Garmin comparison tool or use my own Garmin handheld GPS comparison chart
- I haven’t found any message forums dedicated solely to the eTrex H series, but there is a UseNet Garmin discussion board and a good Garmin forum at GPSInformation.net.
- The official Garmin eTrex Vista H web page
Compare prices on the Garmin eTrex Vista H at these merchants:
- Find the low price on a Garmin eTrex Vista H at GPS Now, where shipping is free on orders over $99 (and the upgrade to overnight shipping is dirt cheap!). Order by 5 p.m. Central Time for same day shipment
- Check the current Garmin eTrex Vista H price at Amazon
- Get the eTrex Vista H at Boaters World