UPDATE 2: This model has been discontinued.
The Garmin nüvi 1370T is Garmin’s latest transatlantic navigator, with pre-loaded maps of the US, Canada and Europe. All of the new units in the 1200, 1300 and 1400 series come with customizable data fields and the ability to utilize the pedestrian and mass transit features of Garmin’s CityXplorer maps (more on the latter below).
The 1370T also has text-to-speech, so you’ll hear “drive one-half mile, then turn left on Elm Street,” instead of just “drive one-half mile, then turn left.” In addition to all that goodness, this 4.3” wide touch-screen unit offers lane assist, lifetime traffic and Bluetooth for hands free mobile phone use.
A couple of other current nuvis also come with transatlantic maps:
- nuvi 775T – This unit has a powered mount, so you don’t need to plug in the mini-USB cable each time you use it; it also adds improved Bluetooth and multi-destination routing, but unlike the 1370T, cannot make full use of CityXplorer maps
- nuvi 275T – This unit drops down to a 3.5” screen and, as with the 775T cannot make full use of CityXplorer maps
To see how the 1370T compares to other models, check out my Garmin nuvi comparison chart.
European map coverage
The image below shows the extent of Garmin’s European map coverage. More information is available on Garmin’s City Navigator Europe web page, where you can zoom in to explore all the details of the map.
Here is a brief look at new features found on the 12xx, 13xx and 14xx series, but not on previous models.
The nuvi 1370T can utilize the pedestrian / mass transit navigation features of these maps, as shown below. CityXplorer maps are priced at $9.99 to $14.99 per city; you can read more about them in my CityXplorer review.
This feature, added with the recent version 2.70 firmware upgrade, allows you to give feedback on points of interest (POIs). You can follow that link for more details, but basically, POIs can be rated and you can also report errors, removing them from your searches.
Custom data fields
The nuvi 12xx, 13xx and 14xx models allow you to customize the map screen’s lower left data field, a feature we first saw on the nuvi 7×5 series. Press this field to bring up the options listed below. When not navigating, the options are:
- Direction of travel (default)
- Time of day
When navigating, the options are as follows:
- Estimated time of arrival (default)
- Estimated time to destination
- Distance to destination
- Direction of travel
- Time of day
Furthermore, in the nuvi 13xx and 14xx series, you have the option to shift data fields to the right side of the map screen, as shown below. The top three fields can then be customized with the options discussed previously. This gives you the ability to display two more fields than can be shown in the traditional display mode.
Also new, your speed changes to red if you are exceeding the speed limit (assuming the unit has the speed limit for the road you are on). This is a nice feature, but I wish Garmin would allow you to customize this to changes colors at 5 or 10 MPH over the limit, so it’s not constantly switching back and forth if you drive right at the limit.
More nuvi 1370T features
The following features were first introduced on other recent nuvi models.
Trip log display
Trip log display, or as I prefer to call it ;-), tracklog display, shows where you’ve been and can be downloaded to your computer. Tracklogs can be cleared and the feature disabled for those of you with something to hide! The tracklog is the thin blue line trailing behind the car / current position icon, as shown in the screen shot above.
This feature adds a “less fuel” option to your routing choices and gives you fuel and mileage reports, estimated fuel cost for trips, and even a “driving challenge” to improve your fuel efficiency.
Here is a PDF version of the ecoRoute manual. ecoRoute is available for the nuvi 2×5, 7×5, 12xx and 13xx series.
NAVTEQ Lifetime Traffic
The nuvi 1370T comes equipped with NAVTEQ lifetime traffic, which is ad-supported. You can read all about that in my nuvi 755T review, but don’t despair, the ads are very low-key.
While the nuvi 1370T includes Lane Assist, as shown below, be aware that it does not include Junction View, a photo-realistic image of freeway interchanges.
Recent cities and streets
This feature was first seen on the nuvi 700 series. A folder icon appears in the upper left corner of city and street search screens. Tap it for a list of recent entries. This is so much better than having to re-enter your hometown all the time!
Where am I?
This emergency location feature provides your current latitude and longitude, the nearest address and intersection, and the closest hospitals, police stations and fuel stations.
Garmin nuvi 1370T pros
- Includes European maps
- Lifetime traffic
- Bright display
- Quick access to previously entered cities and street names
- Customizable fields on map screen
- Automatically powers on and off
- Compatible with CityXplorer maps’ enhanced pedestrian navigation features
- Trip log display
- Visually warns when speeding
Garmin nuvi 1370T cons
- Power lead must be plugged directly into unit (not the mount)
- Has lane assist, but not junction view
- Lane assist coverage extremely limited
- When you search for a POI, the POI balloon obscures a significant portion of the map
More Garmin nuvi 1370T reviews
- Consumer-authored Garmin nuvi 1370T reviews are being posted at Amazon
- PC World gives a 3 out of 5 star rating in their Garmin nuvi 1370T review
- GpsPasSion has a nuvi 12xx, 13xx, 14xx review thread
I’ll be posting more hands on GPS reviews as they appear, but in the meantime, here are some…
Other Garmin nuvi 1370T resources
- The Garmin nuvi 1370T owners manual in the language of your choice
- Want to see how the nuvi 1370T stacks up against other models? Check out this Garmin auto GPS comparison tool or my own Garmin nuvi comparison chart
- There is a dedicated Garmin nuvi message forum at GpsPasSion and another nuvi forum at GPS Review
- The official Garmin nuvi 1370T web page
- Our auto GPS FAQs, which includes quite a few nuvi tips and tricks
Compare prices on the Garmin nuvi 1370T at these merchants:
- Check the current Garmin nüvi 1370T price of the at Amazon
- This is an older model and many online retailers have discontinued carrying it